Thursday, July 10, 2008

Getting Older



I'll be 38 years old at 12:28 A.M. on Saturday July 12th. I'm not sure how I feel about that. There are days when I feel really old and tired. And there are days when I feel like I'm still 18. (If only I had that 18 year old body back!)

I remember very, very clearly the day I turned 25. For some reason that birthday was the worse. I was working from home with not too much to do on a 5 ache farm. I kept wandering outside to talk to the animals. I think I cried most of the day. Probably because my life was not at the point where I thought it would be at that age. I thought I'd have 2 kids and being busy living happily ever after. Didn't quite turn out that way. I believed what the people I worked with had told me...don't blink cause you'll be 30, then 35, then 40 before you know it. And here I am...2 years shy of 40. OMG - can I really be 38 years old?
It's so amazing how life just happens. That reminds me a few songs...both by Kenny Chesney actually - "Don't Blink" and "The Good Stuff". -- link to lyrics in case you don't know the songs. (I really like Kenny Chesney!)
From "Don't Blink"...
Don't blink...Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you wake up
and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife...

Don't blink...You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads next thing you know your better half
Of fifty years is there in bed
And you'll pray that God takes you instead
Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster than you think
So don't blink
I feel just like that...I blinked...I was 18 laying out on Stone Mountain with Brandi and Paul...I was 23 and looking forward to being married...I was 27 and starting over again...I was 30...I was 35...and now...38. I guess the next time I blink I'll be watching Jess walk down the aisle. I hope time slows down between now and then so I can savour every minute of her life. :-)

I wonder if I could get myself nominated for 10 Years Younger and What Not to Wear all before the reunion on August 9th? HA! I am looking forward to my own "makeover" as my birthday present to myself. (Bye, bye grey hair!)
So all that to say....
Happy Birthday to Me...
Happy Birthday to Me...
Hey...this would be a perfect time to make more cupcakes...











1 comment:

Heather said...

Girl, you are great at 38! Ha! I didn't mean to rhyme, it just came out :) ...

And, yes, sounds like a good reason for some cupcakes ;) ...

Happy Early Birthday!!!