Sunday, November 2, 2008

The GREATER Debate

So, a few of us at work have started a Bible study. We've started reading Mark. I've never done such a study before but it is turning into a great experience. It has gotten me back into my Bible and back in communication with God. How great is that?

So a little about our group. One Catholic, one becoming a Catholic, two Church of Christ (one brand new), and me (non-denominational Christian, raised Methodist, somewhat Baptist -- still new in my walk). A pretty good mix with a variety of beliefs.

One such difference in our group is the question..can you lose your salvation? Everyone but me feels you can. Although I've been a Christian for a number of years I'm still what I would consider new to the Word. So I've begun studying the different views on how we are saved and what the Bible says about salvation. I'm currently reading Eternal Salvation by Dr. Stanley...whose point is we cannot lose our salvation. It is an interesting study (which led me on a side study of Bible translations) but I'm still not done yet.

This is one of those topics that I'm not sure either side could sway the other to their side. It has been an interesting study and I'm still reading and researching. If you check my blog and have an opinion or belief I'd love to hear from you.

Also, in my studies I've found the following which is great for comparing different Bible translations and the meaning of words.

The NET Bible

Search for a Bible passage...then when you find the passage you are looking for, click the link (for example Matthew 7:13) and you will get all the Bible transalations for the selected passage on one page. Very nice for comparison.

Eternal Security by Charles Stanley

2 comments:

Heather said...

Salvation has nothing to do with works. If I cannot earn it, then I cannot lose it. It is a gift that God does not take back. God is much greater than that :)

Anonymous said...

Well said, Heather! And I'm so proud of you, Little One, that you believe salvation is an eternl gift. God's Word: Lo, I am with you always. I can turn from Him, and He will allow this, but my life became a living hell, when once I did. God will work His will in my life, even if I forsake Him....He will NOT forsake me. Study on...my precious one...you are on the right path!